When to Hire A DUI Attorney
Most DUI cases in Illinois are handled without legal representation. However, the potential penalties for a DUI arrest and conviction are potentially life changing so you should have a DUI attorney guiding you through the process. This video shows the risk.
Consider hiring a DUI attorney when:
- This is not your first offense.
- Someone is injured or killed because of your DUI.
- You believe that you’re not guilty.
- You think you can reduce your charges from a DUI to reckless driving.
- You’re a commercial driver (e.g. truck driver, delivery person, bus driver, etc.).
How a DUI attorney can help
While hiring a DUI attorney doesn’t guarantee the outcome, an attorney can help you navigate through the court legal system. He or she can:
- Go to court for you or go with you if you’re required to appear.
- Help you to decide on the best plea, testimony, or other strategies.
- File any required documents required by the court.
- Make sure you understand your charges, penalties, and any other legal requirements.
Illinois DUI penalties can include:
- Suspension or revocation of your driver’s license.
- Community service, probation, and/jail time.
- A heavy fine.
- Alcohol and drug education or treatment
- Installation or ignition interlock device in your car.
Personal losses can be huge:
Not only are the legal risks large, but your personal losses can be catastrophic as well.
- Potential loss of job and income.
- Potential loss of rights if convicted of a felony, such as right to vote.
- Potential loss of your marriage or relationship.
- Potential loss of assets such as your car or home.
It’s easy to see that being arrested and/or convicted of a DUI carries tremendous risk. The best advice is not to drink and drive period. However, if you find yourself in this situation hire the best DUI attorney you can find.
Purav Bhatt is a great choice,read his reviews and visit the website. Having been a Cook County State’s Attorney, he has prosecuted hundreds of bench and jury trials and is known as one of the top criminal attorneys in the Chicago and surrounding area. A review of his reviews on AVVO along with his website tells you all about his skills. Click here to see his AVVO reviews.