Federal Defense Attorney Chicago
A significant part of my practice involves representing defendants and businesses in federal cases. If you are being charged by the United States Attorney with federal charges you will quickly find that the setting, procedure, and consequences are significantly greater than being charged for state offenses. The federal criminal process is a complicated maze that is exceedingly difficult for the inexperienced person to understand and navigate. The United States Attorney’s Office employs federal prosecutors who are very experienced and have the resources of the United States government at their disposal. Investigations are headed by agents from the FBI, the DEA, the IRS, the Postal Inspector General, and the Department of Treasury to name a few.
Federal Defense Attorney
If you are facing a federal indictment and have been charged with criminal offenses by the US Attorney’s office, you must prepare early and aggressively. Federal offenses can carry with them decades-long prison sentences and sizeable fines amounting to hundreds of thousands of dollars.
That is why the attorney you select to represent you is the first of many particularly important decisions you must make. You will need an attorney who is familiar and experienced with the federal court system, the US Attorneys handling the case and the judges hearing the case.
Attorney Purav Bhatt and his team at The Law Office of Purav Bhatt has proudly represented and defended clients in federal courts across the Midwest including Illinois, Indiana and Wisconsin. We have represented individuals from pre-arrest investigations with the FBI through federal jury trials. Our goal is to avoid you being charged in the first place and if you are charged to minimize the damage of those charges. We take a strategic, calculated, and forceful approach to federal charges that comes from years of experience on both sides of the courtroom. Our office has successfully handled and tried cases ranging from
- drug trafficking
- internet pornography
- tax fraud, wire fraud, mail fraud and health care fraud
- violations of securities laws
- white-collar crimes
- illegal transportation and sale of firearms
Protecting Your Constitutional Rights
In my experience, the US Attorney and federal government will not charge an individual until their investigation is thorough and complete. In my experience, federal law enforcement investigations can go one for years before an individual is charged. There is a adage in federal practice that the US Attorney will not charge a person until they are confident they can secure a conviction. Rest assured, federal law enforcement will leave no rock unturned to learn about you, who you know and where you go to gain an advantage over you and your case. The US government has an unlimited budget and will use it to follow you, tap your phones, trace your movements through GPS, cell phone data and following your movements. They will employ undercover agents and informants against you. Knowing about and being familiar with the tactics that federal law enforcement uses is the first step in challenging and defeating their case.
We are experienced in attacking the use of this type of evidence in court, and have litigated motions to suppress Title III wiretap surveillance, and the placing and the usage of GPS tracking devices. If we determine your rights were violated by federal agencies attempting to gather evidence, we will seek to have that evidence thrown out.
How We Assist Our Clients To Prevent Prosecution and Conviction
From a defense, and sometimes the prosecution’s perspective, it is in everyone’s best interest to avoid charges being filed. This is where we start. An early assessment of the situation, coupled with an aggressive and well-prepared presentation to the US Attorney, can set the tone of how the case will proceed and whether charges will be filed or not. To do this The Law Office of Purav Bhatt takes the following approach:
- Getting Involved in the Government’s Investigation. Early intervention in the government’s investigation is crucial to let the US Attorney know that you are represented and cannot be taken advantage of or pushed around. Additionally, having representation early allows you to understand the government’s case against you and provide insight into preparing your defense before charges are even brought.
- Comprehensive Analysis of Your Entire Case. One of the most important benefits of being represented is the ability to challenge incorrect assumptions the government makes about the facts of your case and you. If there are alternative explanations to what the government believes happened, we will present those explanations with proof and support. Alabi witnesses and evidence of your innocence will be collected and presented. In addition to correcting the government’s incorrect assumptions of the facts, The Law Office of Purav Bhatt will protect your constitutional rights and ensure that you are protected throughout the entire federal criminal process.
- Securing Release. Your ability to successfully challenge your criminal charges is highly dependent on whether you are in or out of custody. An individual who has to fight his or her case while in custody is at a severe disadvantage. Cut off from family, employment to finance his defense, psychologically stressed, decision-making will suffer. Securing release on bond and being back with your family for support and guidance will strengthen your ability to challenge and defend yourself. A powerful argument for release will let the court know you are a defendant who intends to stand up for himself/herself.
- Pre-Trial Litigation. If you are indicted, and depending on the nature of your case, you may have the opportunity to challenge and suppress some of evidence that was illegally obtained or violated your constitutional rights. That evidence may include the drugs found, GPS trackers placed on your vehicle, wiretap surveillance under Title III, or statements made to law enforcement that are being used against you.
Get Federal Law Representation Right Away
If you have been approached by an agent, received a letter or subpoena from a federal court, have been summoned to testify before the grand jury or received contact from the US Attorney, you need to consult with an experienced federal criminal defense attorney immediately. Being represented may protect you from being charged or you may have the ability to have your charges reduced. Our goal is ensuring that you are represented, protected and secure the best potential result using our team’s experience and knowledge.
If you or a loved one is facing federal charges or has been contacted by the FBI, DEA or any other federal agency, it is crucial that you find representation as soon as possible to protect yourself or your loved ones. Contact us for a consultation.