Sexual assault is, unfortunately, more prevalent in the US than most people might like to think. Data shows that 81% of women and 43% of men are subjected to some form of sexual assault in their lifetime. At the same time, we must recognize that false allegations of sexual assault are also a problem that many people tend to overlook or ignore. Data shows that anywhere from 2% to 10% of sexual assault allegations are either unfounded or false.
If you have been falsely accused of sexual assault by someone, it is extremely important to act quickly and take steps to protect your reputation and freedom. In this article, we take a look at the steps you need to take to defend yourself against false allegations of sexual assault.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Defending Against False Allegations of Sexual Assault
- Remain calm. Being falsely accused of sexual assault can be a nerve-wracking experience, but it is important to not let your emotions get the best of you. Understand the gravity of the situation you are in and the seriousness of the criminal charges you are facing, and mentally prepare yourself for a potentially long and tumultuous legal battle.
- Contact an experienced Chicago criminal defense attorney right away. Sexual criminal offenses are taken extremely seriously in Illinois and a conviction can have life-altering consequences. It’s why getting effective legal representation should be your topmost priority.
- Write down everything you remember about the alleged incident or incidents. Was it consensual? Was alcohol or drug usage involved? It is possible that the victim has mistaken you for someone else? Were you with someone else at the time? Note down every single detail so that you can present a clear account of what happened to your Chicago criminal defense lawyer.
- Gather evidence that can prove your innocence. This includes photos, videos, receipts, text messages, emails, call records, social media posts, and clothing – anything that can be used to establish your innocence should be preserved carefully.
- If there are witnesses who can corroborate your story, get their contact information and hand it over to your trusted and experienced criminal defense attorney.
- Do not try to confront or communicate with your accuser. Even if you think it is just a misunderstanding on the part of the accuser, you should never, ever try to contact them directly. It can lead to further accusations and you might end up worsening your situation.
- Do not try to explain the situation to law enforcement officials – even if you are 100% sure that you did not do anything wrong. Anything you say to the police can be misconstrued and used against you later. You should talk to the police and the prosecutor only with your attorney present.
- Do not vent your frustrations on social media.
- Do not discuss the details of your case with anyone except your experienced criminal defense lawyer.
A Seasoned Sexual Assault Defense Lawyer Is Ready to Fight for You in Chicago, IL
If you have been falsely accused of sexual assault, the experienced sexual assault defense team at The Law Office of Purav Bhatt can help you obtain a not-guilty verdict. Our compassionate criminal lawyer brings unmatched legal expertise to the table and has extensive experience in defending people accused of sexual crimes, violent crimes, drug crimes, white-collar crimes, gun crimes, and more.
Our founder, Purav Bhatt, is a highly skilled criminal defense attorney who has earned numerous awards and recognition in the industry over the years. As a former Cook County felony prosecutor, Mr. Bhatt has a deep understanding of criminal law and extensive knowledge of the state’s criminal justice system. He has worked both sides of criminal cases, but has been practicing criminal law as a defense attorney for over a decade.
When you are facing sexual assault accusations or have been charged with aggravated criminal sexual assault, every moment counts. With a dedicated criminal attorney from The Law Office of Purav Bhatt on your side, you will have the strongest possible legal representation to fight against a sexual assault criminal offense.
Call our law offices today at 773-791-9682 or use our online contact form to schedule a free consultation with one of the best Chicago criminal defense lawyers.